Every school district is required to have a School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) TEC, Title 2, Chpt.28.004, EHAA, BDF
- Must have at least 5 members, majority must be parents who are not employed by the school district
- Must meet at least four times a year
- Parent must be a chair or co-chair
- Must make an annual report to the Board with a detailed account of the activities & priorities of the SHAC for that school year
- Serves in an advisory capacity to the School Board on specific health related areas. See policy EHAA
- SB 460 - added to the responsibilities of the SHAC to recommend policies, procedures, strategies & curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes, & mental health concerns through the coordination of: health education, physical education & physical activity, nutrition services, parental involvement, instruction to prevent the use of tobacco, school health services, counseling & guidance services, a safe & health school environment, & school employee wellness.
- HB 1018 - the SHAC shall establish a physical activity & fitness planning subcommittee to consider issues relating to student physical activity & fitness & make policy recommendations to increase physical activity & improve fitness among students.
If you are interested in being involved with WISD's SHAC please contact Terri Burleson, R.N, School Nurse